Retirement and Skillshare


Recently I started reading blogs about retirement.  I doubt I was going to be the watch TV and hang out at the senior center sort of retiree.  There’s nothing wrong with either but I think I would quickly become bored.  I can only binge watch Game of Thrones so many times before it gets old.  Plus the local senior center is for old people. (insert eyeball rolling here)


One of the big things that I read about was keeping busy.  A couple suggestions kept on cropping up…”join a cause,” “take up a new hobby,” “travel,” “gardening,” “cooking,” “exercise,” “volunteer work,” and “starting a business.”  


I found that I already had enough hobbies to get me though several lifetimes of retirement. Plus for some reason, I still haven’t take a nap.  I’m adding “nap” to my to-do list. I am not adding golfing, fishing, and playing a musical instrument. Most of my friends either have different interests or work during the day.  I’ve volunteered and joined causes most of my life. I tired…I’m worn out by trying to help people that either don’t want help or think I’m a pain in the ass.  I am putting “joining a cause” back on my list.  I doubt I will be able to put this one on hold for very much longer but I'm waiting until after the move.   

I figured out that I don’t want to be an expat retiree.  That seems to be the big rage right now, it sounds kinda kewl but I really miss Texas.  Texas is good enough for me, it’s a big state and Bob is still working.  So I nixed that idea.


Next up was joining the AARP.  Major milestone for me but I am retired now and that’s just want people do.  Right?  It also gives you lots of benefits…I’m still working on some those. The biggie of the AARP site was reading about “Learn@50+”….a major light bulb suddenly appeared over my head.


It was off to Google…the source of quick info.  I found a couple things about being over 50 is that there are programs out there at either low cost or free.  The area that will be moving has a continuing education program.  

College of the Mainland offers a 50 Plus Program.  It has a few interesting things, mostly in the arts.  The State of Texas has a program that folks over 55 gets tuition reduction.  Galveston College offers a Leisure Program that offers online courses and a full over 55 program.  It has the basic stuff like digital photography, watercolor, painting, ceramics, drawing, and cooking. Not bad, much like the local art center has. It is rated as #1 community college in Texas. It does have a visual arts program, the classes are at the 50% tuition discount for continuing ed.  For credit courses, it is 100% but I have to be 65 or older.  I’m not quite there yet but something to think about after we move.


Texas A&M University at Galveston (Aggies by the Sea) is the marine section of the university.   Everything from marine biology to ocean engineering to maritime studies. Great and wonderful for the island…it’s only one of six maritime academies in the US. It’s also the only one located on the Gulf of Mexico. I don’t think it’s the place for me but if I was younger, like 6-11 or 10-18, I’d be at Sea Camp in a heart beat.


Mmmm….the future is great to plan for but I’m thinking about now.  It’s going to be a long winter.




All my light bulbs turned on all at the same time….I had forgotten about Skillshare.  Holy moly, there are fabulous classes on Skillshare. If anybody wants 2 free months of Skillshare, let me know and I will send you an invite.
BTW, what I like about being an artist....I didn't have to hunt for graphics, I drew my own.
Anyway, this is turning into a novel.  I will be blogging about Skillshare classes.
Laters....
~Moon